Monday, October 4, 2010

Oui Oui mon cherie (handmade vs. Mass produced)




So here's the beret ignore my washed out face it's 9 at night after a grueling day at work. I wanted to make the flower detachable but I don't have a broach pin or alligator clip around. I was too impatient to finish the hat and just sewed the flower onto the beret directly. I really like it so I'm sitting around wearing it right now!


Onto the next topic which I've wanted to cover in my last post but I ran out of time to discuss this. Handmade vs. mass-produced. I read in someone else blog recounting an overheard conversation about a woman who was looking at a chunky scarf. She made a comment that she didn't like or would wear anything handmade. As a designer for a major and popular clothing company (rhymes with SAP) I would like to comment on this based on facts. Anything handmade is considered superior and always expensive, which makes it impossible for large companies to afford. But here's the thing all factories making garments have human beings siiting at a sewing machine and sewing the clothing. This is not Terminator and the machines don't make everything. The person making the clothes gets paid close to nothing. So really handmade is everything.

- Posted by misskitty1970

No comments:

Post a Comment