Thursday, August 25, 2011

The good and the bad- Robataya and Chuko

Yesterday I went for my long overdue haircut after a long period of grow out from my pixie haircut only to have it cut into a pixie, again. I like it the best.

Anywho, afterwards I was struggling on where to eat so I went to Robataya on 9th street. This a wonderful Japanese restaurant made to look like a Machiya from the outside and like a Japanese foodstall market inside in the first room then a garden-like dining room. At night it's super lively and the sake is flowing and the meats and veggies are grilling in front of the customers. BY day, they serve lovely lunch sets at reasonable prices. I had a grill fish set, Hokko, that came with rice, soup, salad, and pickled side dish and root veggies. It was super filling and tasty. Also while you wait there's a barrel of pickles and a basket of hard boiled eggs that are free self-serve unlimited. The pickles were really good. If you are in the East Village definitely try this place out.

Robotaya
Robotaya
Robotaya
Robotaya
Robotaya

Next up, Chuko in Prospect Heights. So many of us have been waiting with baited breath for this place to open. It's a ramen place by from Morimoto alums Jamison Blankenship and David Koon. Apparently one of the chefs went to Japan for 3 months to study the art of Ramen, and they import the scallion from Japan. The pork is antibiotic and hormone free, also. With that said, I have to be honest I didn't like the ramen, and I love ramen. It was the saltiest miso ramen I've ever had, and I also love salty. Ippudo still reigns number one in ramen and Takumi a close second. The service was very good, they were every attentive and very apologetic for the long wait to be seated and served. Unfortunately the toilet broke around 8:30pm and people kept having to use the restroom at a nearby bar. These folks have a long way to go to get it right, but I know it was opening night and all restaurants need a chance to get their bearings, so I'll be back in maybe 6 months when it's chilly out and I don't feel like trekking into the city.

chuko
a_560x375
chuko
(bottom two pics by Jessica Loudis)

Peek at my hair

me new hair

getting there:
Robataya
231 East 9th St. New York, NY 10003
take the 6 train to Astor place

Chuko
552 Vanderbilt Avenue
(between Atlantic Ave & Pacific St)
Brooklyn, NY 11238
Trains take the A/C to Clinton - Washington Avs, or the B or Q to 7th ave, or the 2/3 to Bergen St.

No comments:

Post a Comment