Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Dutch and the Danes- Vandaag

Van Daag

Today a few friends and I met up to have lunch at Vandaag in the East Village. Vandaag serves Northern European cuisine focusing on Dutch and Danish foods. The space is amazing, large and open, with massive window panes for perfect people watching. The seating is both booths and tables and very spacious. When you walk in you see a pretty kinderbakfiet bicycle with flowers sitting in the front carriage. Service was a bit slow but the food was good. We started with the bread basket filled with fresh baked breads, baked in the restaurant, that came with two spreads, juniper butter and eggplant lemon spread, yum! D and I ordered the Orchard Sour, which is a non-alcoholic concoction of ginger, lemon and sparkling apple cider, so tasty. Each of us order a smørrbrød (open faced sandwich) except for Michelle. I got the hen confit with radish, string beans, preserved lemon, and espelette(pepper). Debra and a friend got the shrimp remoulade with kohlrabi, lemon, and herbs. Then Michelle ordered the smoked pickled sausage and the Gravlax, which is what I wanted to order originally but I figured I should try something different. My sandwich was delicious, the shrimp ones were good except the kohlrabi seemed like it might be turning, and the gravlax and sausage got a thumbs up. They have an extensive drink menu both alcoholic and non, from teas to infused akavit and wonderful concoctions like the Orchard Sour. The staff was super nice, I think our waitress was little overwhelmed since she was working by herself. Overall good experience, I'd go back. OH! and I super loved the cutest little KLM Bols Blue Delf houses display over our table, I want one, eep!

Van Daag
Van Daag
Van Daag
Van Daag
Van Daag
Van Daag
Van Daag
Van Daag
Van Daag
Van Daag
Van Daag

Super sad walking to the train from Vandaag, Mars bar is officially closed as a couple of weeks but I hadn't seen it all closed up, bummer. SO long dirty old friend.

Mars Bar
Mars Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment