Wednesday, April 27, 2011



I met my good friend Michelle today for lunch at Hiroko's Place a Japanese comfort food cafe in Soho. This place has been around for a while but neither of us had ever ventured to eat there. The decor was weird except for the art on the walls was very Japnese Kawaii, the rest kinda looked like leftovers from another place. The menu has curry dishes, Omu (omelette) plates, hamburg and a few other stuff. Michelle order the Omu fried rice, which she said needed some flavoring, plus the green tea smoothie which was yummy. I got the vegetable curry over rice and it was tasty and the iced green tea. We unfortunately waited over 45 minutes to be served our food when there were only 2 other patrons in the restaurant. Apparently they had a large delivery order that came ahead of us, the folks actually sitting in the restaurant. This made the food less appetizing especially since my friend had to go back to work and her lunch hour was practically up when they served us, plus it was pricey for what we got and how long it took, the bill with tip was $36, for two people, which is outrageous in NYC for lunch. The owner, came over to our table an apologized profusely bowing over and over again, saying that it was a busy day. The bowing embarrassed my friend and kinda just annoyed me because she was the same person sitting in a big bachelor pad seat with a refreshing beverage in her hand while we just waited for our food, if she was truly sorry. If you are really jonesing for some Japanese comfort food, go somewhere else, got to Panya in the east village, this place just doesn't measure up, I was truly disappointed.







Since I was already in Soho I figured that I would walk over to Purl Soho in their new location on Broome street and check it out. I was in love with everything they had and I had to control myself (the only part of not working full time I hate is not being able to spend money!). I overheard another customer talking to a salesperson about reupholstering and I remembered that I need to make new covers for my mid-century mod Danish chair, so I followed the ladies. I found some very nice textured solids and I picked a primary blue and I am very pleased, just need to find some zippers because they didn't have the right selection for what I need it for. All in all, my experience at Purl Soho was lovely, the staff is really sweet and the crafting supplies are a plenty! (Sunrise Mart is just down the block too!)






Getting There:
Hiroko's Place
75 Thompson St (between Broome St & Spring St)
Take the 1 train to Canal Station or the A,C,E to Spring St
Map

Purl Soho
459 Broome Street (between Mercer and Greene st)
Take the 1 or N,R train to Canal Station.
Map

No comments:

Post a Comment